Soak up the entire spectacular length of the Abel Tasman Coastal track and add a whole day to explore why Golden Bay has earnt it’s treasured holiday destination status. Bask in the National Parks’ native forest and golden beaches, and spend two nights at the fantastic Ratanui Lodge in Pohara.
On your free day in Golden Bay let us organize a Farwell Spit tour, or a rental car so you can explore the area – admiring the crystal clear Te Waikoropupu springs, the myriad of short stunning walks, go gin-tasting at the award-winning local distillery, and lunching at the famous Mussel Inn.
Focus on the experience and let us take care of the rest with this unguided package, allowing you to enjoy the track at your own pace while providing the information and services that you’ll need. We create customised itineraries that include critical tidal crossing timelines and take care of a myriad of logistics, including transportation to the Abel Tasman Coast Track, accommodation bookings and luggage transfers. Detailed notes including tide times, maps, advice on what to bring, and all our favourite places to stop and enjoy are provided.
$2129 per person Share Twin
- Transport from your Nelson accommodation to Marahau and back to Nelson
- 4 nights Accommodation
- Bag transfers between your accommodations (you only carry a daypack)
- Water taxi transport from Totaranui to Marahau
- Dinner and breakfast at Anchorage camp (breakfast only on B&B option)
- Continental breakfast at Awaroa Lodge
- Breakfast at Ratanui Lodge (2 mornings)
- 4 packed lunches
- Personalised itinerary and maps for your trip
- A full briefing from our staff before your trip
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
We will customise your trip depending on the timing of tides for your departure date as there are 2 tidal inlets that need to be crossed at low tide.
Approx 4 hours walking – 12.4kms
Pickup from your accommodations in the Nelson area taking you to Marahau to begin your walk. Check in bags for luggage transfers, collect your lunch, have your trip briefing from our staff and off you go. Spend the day hiking, swimming & exploring the forest, the track and the golden sand beaches en route to Anchorage.
For your night at Anchorage you have 2 choices for your accommodation depending on availability and your preference
- A tenting experience in our Kathmandu Retreat 280 tents at Anchorage Campground, complete with our own camp guide to look after you and prepare your meals. Sleep in comfort on our Kathmandu Cabana 75mm self-inflating air mattresses with all your bedding including a duvet and pillow. The campsite doesn’t have hot showers, just a cold water outdoor shower, but the location is simply stunning.
- A short water taxi ride back to Marahau to stay in modern, comfortable & stylish B&B style accommodation. Requires a water taxi back to Anchorage in the morning to continue your walk. No dinner is included with 2 local restaurants for you to choose from.
6-7 hours walking – 18.8kms
Begin walking along the wonderful beach at Anchorage for your biggest day. Pass the settlement of Torrent Bay before heading up and over to the iconic Falls River Swing Bridge and further to Bark Bay. From this lovely bay the track heads up the largest ascent of the day ending up back at sea level at Tonga Quarry and Onetahuti Beach. A lovely walk along crescent shaped Onetahuti Beach follows and then the last saddle sees you over to wonderful Awaroa Lodge where you will spend the night in bliss.
Approx. 3 hours walking – 8.1kms
Begin your day by crossing the wide tidal crossing at Awaroa before being awe inspired by the wonderful podocarp forest and rata trees clinging precariously to the headlands as you walk over to the golden sand beaches of Waiharakeke and Goat Bays. Another ascent follows over to the popular camping spot of Totaranui with stunning views from Skinners Point along the way. Once at Totaranui your shuttle will pick you up and take you over to Ratanui Lodge in the delightful village of Pohara.
On your free day in Pohara, Golden Bay let us organize a Farwell Spit tour, or a rental car so you can explore the area – admiring the crystal clear Te Waikoropupu springs, the myriad of short stunning walks, go gin-tasting at the award-winning local distillery, and lunching at the famous Mussel Inn. Car rental $80 and we’ll have it waiting for you at Ratanui Lodge on the evening you arrive. Or, just relax at the lodge with a book and short walks along Pohara beach.
Approx. 5 hours walking – 15.5kms
After your short shuttle to Wainui Inlet this morning you are on the stunning less well travelled section of the track. Enjoy the views of Wainui Inlet as you climb up into stunning native forest. Follow the track to Whariwharangi and maybe take an extra hour to head out to Separation Point before heading to Mutton Cove and Anapai Bay. Finish your days walk at Totaranui where your water taxi will take you past all those golden sand beaches all the way back to Marahau to catch your transport back to Nelson.