Walk the entire Abel Tasman Coastal Track
Spend four days walking the entire Abel Tasman Track, including the stunning path less travelled from Totaranui to Wainui Inlet. See all the park has to offer including the famous golden sand beaches, intensely beautiful forests full of New Zealand native wildlife and crystal clear water with more shades of blue than you ever thought possible.
This is an unguided package, which allows you to enjoy the entire track at your own pace, with all the information, organization and logistics to get the most out of your Abel Tasman experience. Stay in delightful hotel style and real Kiwi holiday accommodation, so you can relax in well-earned comfortable surroundings after each day on the track.
$1299 per person Share Twin
- Transport from your Nelson accommodation to Marahau and back to Nelson
- 3 nights accommodation
- All Luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc
- 4 packed lunches
- BBQ evening meal and breakfast at Anchorage Camp (breakfast only on B&B option)
- Breakfast at Ratanui Lodge
- Transport from Totaranui to Ratanui Lodge and Ratanui Lodge to Wainui Inlet
- Water taxi transport from Totaranui to Marahau
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- A full briefing from our staff before your trip
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
We will customise your trip depending on the timing of tides for your departure date as there are 2 tidal inlets that need to be crossed at low tide.
Approx 4 hours walking – 12.4kms
Pickup from your accommodations in the Nelson area taking you to Marahau to begin your walk. Check in bags for luggage transfers, collect your lunch, have your trip briefing from our staff and off you go. Spend the day hiking, swimming & exploring the forest, the track and the golden sand beaches en route to Anchorage.
For your night at Anchorage you have 2 choices for your accommodation depending on availability and your preference
- A tenting experience in our Kathmandu Retreat 280 tents at Anchorage Campground, complete with our own camp guide to look after you and prepare your meals. Sleep in comfort on our Kathmandu Cabana 75mm self-inflating air mattresses with all your bedding including a duvet and pillow. The campsite doesn’t have hot showers, just a cold water outdoor shower, but the location is simply stunning.
- A short water taxi ride back to Marahau to stay in modern, comfortable & stylish B&B style accommodation. Requires a water taxi back to Anchorage in the morning to continue your walk. No dinner is included with 2 local restaurants for you to choose from.
6-7 hours walking – 18.8kms
Begin walking along the wonderful beach at Anchorage for your biggest day. Pass the settlement of Torrent Bay before heading up and over to the iconic Falls River Swing Bridge and further to Bark Bay. From this lovely bay the track heads up the largest ascent of the day ending up back at sea level at Tonga Quarry and Onetahuti Beach. A lovely walk along crescent shaped Onetahuti Beach follows and then the last saddle sees you over to wonderful Awaroa Lodge where you will spend the night in bliss.
Approx. 3 hours walking – 8.1kms
Begin your day by crossing the wide tidal crossing at Awaroa before being awe inspired by the wonderful podocarp forest and rata trees clinging precariously to the headlands as you walk over to the golden sand beaches of Waiharakeke and Goat Bays. Another ascent follows over to the popular camping spot of Totaranui with stunning views from Skinners Point along the way. Once at Totaranui your shuttle will pick you up and take you over to Ratanui Lodge in the delightful village of Pohara.
Approx. 5 hours walking – 15.5kms
After your short shuttle to Wainui Inlet this morning you are on the stunning less well travelled section of the track. Enjoy the views of Wainui Inlet as you climb up into stunning native forest. Follow the track to Whariwharangi and maybe take an extra hour to head out to Separation Point before heading to Mutton Cove and Anapai Bay. Finish your days walk at Totaranui where your water taxi will take you past all those golden sand beaches all the way back to Marahau to catch your transport back to Nelson.