Walk the classic route from Marahau to Totaranui with a ‘rest day’ at Awaroa Lodge so you’ll have time for extra adventures!
For those who just can’t get enough of this golden-sand paradise. Join us and spend three days walking the track, and an extra day exploring the perfect beach at Awaroa and some of the many side tracks. Or why not experience the scenery from the water, and see for yourself why kayaking is world famous in the Abel Tasman National Park? Your guide will delight you along the way with the history, stories and pointing out some of our wonderful wildlife that inhabit the Abel Tasman.
This fully inclusive guided package includes authentic New Zealand accommodation, so you can have a real Kiwi experience. We do all the work so you don’t have to. We customise every walking itinerary to the tidal conditions, and ensure every trip is a unique experience encompassing individual aspirations.
$2159 per person Share Twin
- Transport from your Nelson accommodation to Marahau and back to Nelson
- 3 nights accommodations
- All luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc
- 3 packed lunches including fresh brewed coffee or tea
- All food including dinner and breakfast each day
- Water Taxi transport from Totaranui back to Marahau
- Foot towels – for drying feet after tidal crossings.
- The services of a well-informed guide/trip manager
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
Approx 4 hours walking – 12.4kms
Start the day from your accommodation in the Nelson area and we’ll drive to Marahau to start our walk.
We’ll spend the day winding through regenerating forest, along beautiful golden sand beaches while paralleling the Astrolabe Roadstead, with stunning views of the Adele and Fishermans Islands defining it.
We will linger at one or more of the beaches – Apple Tree Beach being a favourite, before gaining some altitude with magical views over all of Tasman Bay, before dropping into the perfect Anchorage beach. For your accommodation we have 3 choices depending on your preferences and availability.
- Enjoy staying in a private cabin onboard the Aquapackers Boat (shared bathroom) moored in Anchorage Bay. Enjoy wonderful onboard BBQ.
- A tenting experience in our large deluxe tents at Anchorage Campground complete with your own camp guide to prepare your meals and look after you. Sleep in luxury on air mattresses with full bedding. The campsite doesn’t have hot showers, just a cold outdoor shower, but the location is simply stunning.
- A short water taxi ride back to Marahau to stay in modern, stylish and ensuited B&B accommodation. only your evening meal on the waterfront at the renowned Hooked restaurant. A water taxi takes you back to Anchorage in the morning to continue your walk.
Approx 6-7 hours walking – 18.8kms
After a hearty breakfast we begin our walk for the day – today is a big day in the heart of the park. We begin crossing the Torrent Bay inlet to the settlement there heading inland before descending into Medlands Bay then coming across Bark Bay. From Bark Bay we ascend again to the highest point before descending into the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned. It’s a great spot for a break and a swim, Tonga Island sits out there directly in front of the quarry. The long Onetahuti Beach is the next feature and we meander along it soaking up the beauty.
From there a gentle ascent through Manuka and tree fern forest until we turn off to Awaroa Lodge our accommodation for the night.
Accommodation – Awaroa Lodge is perhaps the most elegant place to stay in the Abel Tasman Area – it is in a truly divine setting and close to the most perfect beach – Awaroa Beach. It’s a casual elegance with beach wear being the easy going theme. We stay in well-appointed hotel rooms with ensuites and dine in their wonderful restaurant.
After two days on the track, you’ve earned a rest day at Awaroa Lodge. There are many wonderful side tracks to explore, and plenty of great spots for swimming and reading. The opportunity to kayak on a guided trip is available this day – see the kayak options
Awaroa Lodge’s restaurant and café is one of our favourite places, and a great feature for this day. Enjoy!
Approx. 3 hours walking – 8.1kms
It is with reluctance that we leave the style, casual elegance and beauty of Awaroa and make our way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. Here the track weaves its way through some amazing virgin New Zealand forest with podocarp giants reaching skyward, before bursting out on yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay. Up and over another headland with huge native Rata trees clinging to the granite cliffs to Totaranui stretching out in the distance. Here we catch our water taxi back to Marahau to complete our Abel Tasman experience by seeing from the sea, all the landscapes we spent our time walking through. Once back in Marahau we head back to Nelson bid farewell.