Get the best of both worlds with 3 days on the track and a day to relax and take in the stunning Abel Tasman
The Abel Tasman Coast Track is simply breathtaking. Walking it over four days gives you ample time to swim, get sand between your toes, and accomplish some incredible hiking without being rushed. You get all the thrill of hiking one of New Zealand’s Great Walks with a day to rest and recuperate in the lap of luxury at Awaroa Lodge. You may even want to explore the area with a guided kayak trip.
Our four-day unguided package allows you to enjoy the track at your own pace while providing the information and services that you’ll need. We create customised itineraries that include critical tidal crossing timelines and take care of a myriad of logistics, including transportation to the Abel Tasman Coast Track, accommodation bookings (you can choose to stay in the type of accommodation best suited to your tastes) and luggage transfers. Detailed notes, including tide times, maps, and advice on what to bring and when to walk will also be provided.
The plan we develop for your personalised trip enables you to keep an independent approach to your journey while getting the most of out of your experience.
$1119 per person Share Twin
- Transport from your Nelson accommodation to Marahau and back to Nelson
- 3 nights Accommodation
- Bag transfers between your accommodations (you only carry a daypack)
- Water taxi transport from Totaranui to Marahau
- Dinner and breakfast onboard Aquapackers boat/at Anchorage camp
- 3 packed lunches
- Personalised itinerary and maps for your trip
- A full briefing from our staff before your trip
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
NOTE – There are areas on the track that can only be crossed at low tide – tide times change by approximately 1 hour a day which means your itinerary may go in the opposite direction to the itinerary detailed below.
Approx 4 hours walking – 12.4kms
The trip begins when we pick you up from your accommodation in the Nelson area and transport you to Marahau. You’ll check in your bags, collect your lunch, have your trip briefing from our staff and then head off on the track!
On the trail you will spend the day hiking, swimming, and exploring forests and golden sand beaches en route to Anchorage. You have a choice of 3 accommodation options depending on your preference and availability
- Enjoy staying in a Private Cabin onboard the Aquapackers Boat (shared bathroom) moored in Anchorage Bay with dinner and breakfast included.
- A tenting experience in our large deluxe tents at Anchorage campground complete with your own camp guide to look after you and prepare your meals. Sleep in luxury on air mattresses with full bedding. The campsite doesn’t have hot showers, just a cold water outdoor shower, but the location is simply stunning.
- A short water taxi ride back to Marahau and stay in modern, stylish & ensuited B&B accommodation. Requires a water taxi back to Anchorage in the morning to continue your walk. No evening meal is included as there are 3 local restaurants to choose from.
Approx. 6-7 hours – 18.8kms
You’ll begin your day walking along the wonderful beach at Anchorage before crossing the inlet to Torrent Bay and the iconic Falls River Swing Bridge. Further on you will find Bark Bay, a great place to eat lunch and go for a swim. From this lovely spot you’ll head up the track’s largest ascent through stands of Mānuka before walking back down to sea level to Tonga Quarry. A little further on you will discover Onetahuti Bay where an almost perfectly crescent shaped beach awaits you. You’ll be able to take off your shoes and enjoy walking barefoot along the beach before heading in to the exquisite Awaroa Lodge. This will be the biggest day.
After a rejuvenating shower in your room you’ll be ready to enjoy a delicious evening meal (not included) at the elegant Harakeke restaurant there.
The wonderful amenities at Awaroa Lodge include a main lodge that is comfy and full of character, a library, bar, restaurant, and an outdoor pizzeria. You can choose to explore the area on foot, join a guided kayak trip – see kayak options, or spend the day relaxing. Maybe visit the People’s Beach – a beach that was purchased by the people of New Zealand via a crowdfunding campaign and gifted back to the Abel Tasman National Park.
Approx. 3 hours walking – 8.1kms
This morning make your way to the tidal Awaroa Inlet Crossing. On the other side you’ll enjoy tramping through a breathtaking podocarp forest that leads to the golden sands of Waiharakeke and Goat Bays. After having more fun on the beaches you will make the final ascent to the popular camping spot of Totaranui.
From Totaranui your water taxi will pick you up and return you to Marahau, passing all the beautiful golden sand beaches that you explored during your trip. Our Transport will take you back to Nelson to finish an amazing few days in paradise.