For the entire stunning Abel Tasman Coastal Track experience come and walk all the way with us
This complete trip takes in all the iconic Abel Tasman beauty including the stunning path less travelled from Totaranui to Wainui Inlet. Visit the historic spot at Whariwharangi where Abel Tasman – the European discoverer of New Zeeland – was repelled by local Maori.
Over 4 days you will walk the entire length of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track with all your necessities taken care of and a guide to delight you with the stories this national park has hiding. We will take care of all the logistics including all your food, luggage transfers, transportation and accommodation booking so all you have to do is enjoy this incredible place.
$2245 per person Share Twin
- Transport from your Nelson accommodation to Marahau and back to Nelson
- 3 nights’ accommodation
- All Luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc
- 4 packed lunches including fresh brewed coffee or tea
- All food including restaurant dining at Awaroa Lodge & Ratanui Lodge
- BBQ evening meal & breakfast while staying in Anchorage
- Transport from Totaranui to Ratanui Lodge and Ratanui Lodge to Wainui Inlet
- Water taxi transport from Totaranui to Marahau
- Foot towels for drying feet after tidal crossings
- The services of a well-informed guide
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
Approx 4 hours walking – 12.4kms
The day starts when we collect you from your accommodation in Nelson and drive to Marahau, the start of the track, to start our walk.
We’ll pass through regenerating forest, along beautiful golden sand beaches and the Astrolabe Roadstead – with fantastic views of Adele and Fishermans Islands.
We will linger at one or more of the beaches – Apple Tree Beach being a favourite, before gaining some altitude with resultant magical views over all of Tasman Bay, before dropping into the perfect beach of Anchorage. You have the choice of 2 styles of accommodation for your night in Anchorage depending on availability and your preferences
- An tenting experience in our large deluxe tents at Anchorage campground complete with your own camp guide to look after you and prepare your gourmet evening meal & breakfast. Sleep in luxury on an air mattress with full bedding provided. The campsite doesn’t have hot showers, just a cold outdoor shower, but the location is simply stunning.
- A short water taxi ride back to Marahau to stay in modern, comfortable and stylish B&B style accommodation. Enjoy your evening meal on the waterfront in Marahau in the renowned Hooked restaurant. A water taxi takes you back to Anchorage the next morning to continue your walk.
Approx. 6-7 hours walking – 18.8kms
We begin our walk for the day travelling through the heart of the park. We cross the Torrent Bay Inlet to the settlement there before heading inland and a descent into Medlands Bay and Bark Bay. From Bark Bay we ascend again to the day’s highest point before descending into the historic, long-abandoned Tonga granite quarry. It’s a great spot for a break and perhaps a swim, with Tonga Island directly in front of the quarry. The long Onetahuti beach is the next feature and we meander along it soaking up the beauty. From there we complete the day with a gentle ascent through manuka and tree fern forest on approach to Awaroa Lodge, our accommodation for the night.
Awaroa Lodge is perhaps the most elegant place to stay in the Abel Tasman Area – it is in a truly divine setting and close to the most perfect beach – Awaroa Beach. It’s casual elegance with beach wear being the easy going theme. We stay in well-appointed hotel rooms with ensuites and dine in their wonderful restaurant.
Approx. 3 hours walking – 8.1km
Shortly after leaving Awaroa Lodge, we reach a wide tidal crossing of Awaroa Inlet leading into a wonderful podocarp forest. We then burst out on the golden sand of Waiharakeke Bay and Goat Bay for some stunning views, before the final ascent over to the popular camping spot of Totaranui. From here our shuttle takes us to the our accommodation at Ratanui Lodge in the lovely village of Pohara.
Ratanui Lodge is a luxury lodge at Pohara Beach in Golden Bay and has 10 uniquely appointed guest rooms (all with ensuite), an intimate restaurant serving memorable dinners nightly, a salt water swimming pool, beauty treatment room, free wifi and exceptional hosts.
Approx. 5 hours walking – 15.5kms
This morning after a short shuttle ride to the Wainui entrance to the National Park we will begin the last section of our walk. Enjoying the views of Wainui Inlet as we climb up into the native forest we will wander over to Whariwharangi and maybe head out to Separation Point, an extra hour but worth every second. Then it’s down to Mutton Cove and Anapai Bay before returning to Totaranui to catch our water taxi back to Marahau where our transport back to Nelson will be waiting.