For those who want a bite-sized experience of the Abel Tasman trip. Fit some key highlights of one of New Zealand’s Great Walks into even the busiest schedules or short trips to New Zealand.
This two-day package includes:
- Transport to Marahau from and back to your Nelson accommodations
- 1 nights accommodation in a wonderful hotel room at Awaroa Lodge
- All luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc
- 2 packed lunches including fresh brewed coffee and tea
- Restaurant dining at Awaroa lodge for dinner and breakfast
- All water taxi transport – two shuttles
- Foot towels for drying feet after tidal crossings
- The services of a well-informed guide
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
Price: $949 per person, Twin Share
Day 1 – Torrent Bay to Awaroa Lodge
Approx. 6.5 hours walking – 18.8km
We’ll meet at your Nelson or Motueka accommodation around 7am, and drive out to Marahau to collect a 9am water taxi to Torrent Bay.
We begin our walk at the small Torrent Bay settlement, heading for the iconic Falls River swing bridge and further on to Bark Bay. From this lovely bay the track heads up the largest ascent on the whole trip ending up at back at sea level at Medlands and Onatahuti Bays. A lovely walk along crescent shaped Onatahuti Beach follows and our final hill sees us arrive at the wonderful Awaroa Lodge. After a rejuvenating shower in your room you are ready to enjoy the bar and restaurant there. Stay the night in wonderful Awaroa Lodge.
Day 2 Awaroa Inlet – Totoranui and water taxi return to Marahau
Approx. 2.5 hours 5.5km
Today is a much more leisurely day, starting with a wide tidal crossing not far from Awaroa Lodge. We meander through beautiful podocarp forest, before bursting out on the golden sand of Waiharakeke bay and Goat Bay. Our final ascent leads us over to the popular camping spot of Totaranui. From Totaranui we will return by water taxi to Marahau, seeing from the see some of the golden sand beaches we’ve walked along. Our road transport departs from Maranui to return you to Nelson/Motueka accommodation inspired – and a little tired.